- Our Party
African-American Caucus of the OCDP Meeting
07/24/2012 4:30 pm
07/24/2012 6:00 pm
You are invited to become a charter member of the newly formed African-American Caucus of the Orange County Democratic Party (OCDP).
The first meeting is scheduled for
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 from 4:30 to 6:00 PM
at the OCDP office, 209 Lloyd Street, Suite 310, Carrboro (OCDP entrance is behind the building).
The goals of the Caucus are to:
1. Complete or update Voter Registrations for as many minority Democrats (or those leaning in our direction) as possible.
2. Educate minority registered voters (and potential registrants) about:
- The candidates and issues at each election
- The election process, including all options for voting.
- Myths regarding voting.
3. Get all possible minority voters to the polls during Early Voting or on Election Day.
4. Identify issues and concerns of the minority community which need political action/support from OCDP and elected officials.
David Caldwell has agreed to provide the initial leadership of the Caucus.
The focus of the first meeting will be Voter Registration. Caucus members will be asked to take on whatever responsibilities they can to carry out VR efforts, including inviting others to help out.
Some Voter Registration possibilities include identifying and working with:
- selected churches
- service agencies
- recreational groups
- schools and youth group
- clubs/social groups
Content of the meeting will include:
1. Current Voter Registration Form: a review of how to complete the form and procedures for returning it in a timely manner. Also, the follow-up method for checking to see if the person is registered with the Board of Elections.
2. Rules for Non-Profits regarding Voter Registration and Election activities.
3. Options for Voters on how and where to vote.
4. Questions/answers regarding any aspect of voting.
A supply of Voter Registration Forms, plus supporting handouts will be available. We look forward to your attendance. You are welcome to bring other interested persons with you.
Please bring a folding chair to help us accommodate everyone.
Please let Ann DeMaine know whether or not you can attend. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-929-0003.